Thursday, August 4, 2011

Weather Worries


Back in June, I did a blog post about Cooper's fascination with tornadoes... I should have known ... the fascination turned to fear, and it's been pretty extreme. For almost the entire month of July, Cooper has been afraid of wind, rain, even clouds ... and unfortunately, there have been a lot of all three!

I remember there was rain and wind on the 4th of July, but it wasn't an issue for him that day or any of the days before (there had been a LOT of rain in the spring). By the following Saturday (July9th) however, it WAS an issue, and had been all week long. We had to keep all the windows and blinds closed so Cooper couldn't see the leaves stirring in the breeze or the dark clouds in the sky. But with the transom windows throughout the house, he could still catch glimpses, so soon he was almost completely confined to his bedroom or the basement (with no such windows, blinds drawn tight). Actual storms (of which there seems to have been MANY) would cause him to shriek in terror ... I think he actually was using his own voice to drown out the noise of the rain. Hysterical ... some times that is the word that describes him. There is no reasoning with him, no logic ... I've tried distracting him with some success (tv, gameboy in hand, headphones with music blaring).

Every morning Cooper checks the forecast for West Jordan... and Salt Lake, Layton, St. George, Moab ... oops, there was a weather app on the Ipod touch. Weather questions and comments make up the majority of the conversation every single day, it's rather exhausting! My little boy who used to spend his days playing basketball, soccer, jumprope and hula hoop doesn't dare venture outside the house (often not even out of his room). On sunny days he'll seem ok, but I see him making furtive glances at the windows and sky. If a cloud covers the sun, you can see an instant change in his countenance.

Cooper has always been a bit fearful (ok, there has been a LOT to deal with). In previous posts I've mentioned his fear of water (baths and swimming), which he has overcome (yea, he's a little fishy!) I did a post about his fear of Tom Bergeron ... the host of America's Funniest Home Videos, even I have to admit that is a strange one. Cooper has always preferred the comfort of home, safe with Mom, rarely going to friend's homes and always the first to say "let's go home" when we do go out. Church (nursery & the start of primary) was a huge ordeal. He cried all through kindergarten orientation, but happily he did fine once school started. Now with soccer starting up again, he's SO afraid he'll break his arm again (we are all a little worried about that) but he LOVED soccer so, I don't want him to give it up... of course, soccer also requires you to be outside ...

Monday, August 1 ... there was a bit of a change. I'm not sure what caused it, but I'll take it! Cooper came and told me he LIKED the rain ... and he even went outside and "danced" in the rain a bit (and there was plenty of rain all throughout the day Monday to keep on testing him). Cooper even asked me "Are you the only one in our family who doesn't like the rain?" ????? ME? The only problem I have had with the rain of late is that it was tormenting my little boy!

The change hasn't been continued or complete. Again with rain today (enough with the summer storms already!) Cooper has been concerned and in tears. He says he's ok with rain ... but he doesn't like the sound as it hits the windows. He's still worried about wind, terrified of tornadoes and leery of lightening. He asked about earthquakes (let's NOT go there) ...

... he does LOVE rainbows though ...
I hope there's a rainbow for us at the end of this storm.

2 comments:

  1. Poor little guy.. He was cute the day he came over here, he gave me a full weather report.. I hope it gets better for him..

    ReplyDelete
  2. We hope he overcomes this fear -- it has got to be frustrating. I loved your alliteration at the end of your post by the way!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...