Sunday, January 5, 2014

Baptism Talks

For Colton's baptism, I thought we'd just keep all the talks in house (like we did for Cooper's a few years ago). As Landon was performing the baptism, we had Callahan give the talk on baptism, Keaton give the talk on The Holy Ghost, and Cooper gave a short "rainbow" poem. I thought I'd include them here; to remember them personally, and to share if anyone else needed an easy talk idea. I know I found the "Three Bears of Baptism" story online somewhere. I can't remember where (if you feel it was from you, contact me and I'll happily link back to your original site). I did change it up somewhat for our family use. The "Signs" Holy Ghost talk was given originally by my oldest brother at one of the older boy's baptisms ... I'm not sure if he came up with it himself or if someone should be credited for it as well. The Rainbow poem is from The Friend Magazine.


The Three Bears of Baptism

I’m going to tell the story of the three bears ... the three bears of baptism.  These bears can help us remember the covenants, or promises,  we make with Heavenly Father when we are baptized. 

  • The first BEAR of baptism is to bear HIS name. You bear your father’s name. Your name shows others you belong to your father, to your family. By being  baptized, you take on the name of Christ and become an official member of his church. You will try to do things that Jesus would do.
  • The second BEAR of baptism is to bear testimony, or to bear witness and share with others that we know Jesus is the Son of God. That we know he is our Savior and we know His gospel is true. Always remember him in your thoughts, actions and the example you  set.
  • The third BEAR of baptism is that we bear one another's burdens, that they may be light. That means we help each other with the work that needs to be done and also we help others when they have trouble and sorrow so they won't suffer alone. This is one way we can  follow the Savior's commandment to love one another, the same way He loves us.


You are only baptized one time. Today is your special day. But Heavenly Father has given us all a chance to renew our Baptismal Covenant every week when we take the sacrament. Listen to the priests as they bless the sacrament and remember your bears ....

You bear his name.
You bear your testimony.
You bear one another's burdens.

And remember what Heavenly Father promises YOU ... that He will pour out His spirit upon us.  I can think of nothing better than to always have his spirit with us.  


The Holy Ghost

As you walk to school or ride in the car, 
you probably notice lots of street signs.
Why are all these signs around?

Here is a sign (DO NOT ENTER).
What is this sign trying to tell you?
Do you think it was just put there for fun?
Or do you think there was a good reason for this sign?

How about this sign? (KEEP RIGHT)
What about this sign? (STOP) 
What could happen if you decided to ignore these signs?

The Holy Ghost helps guide us, just like signs guide us.
The Holy Ghost can tell us where it is safe to walk.
Remind us to KEEP RIGHT
Tell us that there are places we DO NOT ENTER
and warn us to STOP when there is danger.

The Holy Ghost can comfort you.
He can help you in school.
He can help you to choose good friends and make good choices.
He can keep you out of danger.

I hope we can all pay attention to the Holy Ghost 
as he guides us through life.



The rainbow shows a promise
That God has made to me.
If I choose to obey 
Then I can always see
That rainbows are not made 
Just for God alone
Rainbows help me remember 
Promises of my own


The next day ... Cooper had a talk in primary. It was great to just be able to grab one of these (he gave the "Three Bears" talk) without having to prepare anything new :)

Do you have any primary talks to share on your blog?
Feel free to leave any links in the comments! I'd love to check them out *Ü*

6 comments:

  1. This is just great! thank you so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU so much for these great ideas. It helped me so much with a talk I had to give on Saturday. I have enjoyed reading your blog.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing! I am going to use your talk about the three bears tomorrow for my son's baptism.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for sharing.can you email me a link to get a print copy of these and the signs please? precioustia0512@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've changed computers since this post and no longer have the images files saved anywhere. I'm fairly certain I just googled the images and found them online for free though, they should be out there available! ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...