Thursday, April 21, 2011

Nummy Nests

It's an Easter tradition ... nummy nests made from meringue. I was introduced to these by my friend Tiffany back in elementary school. I had to get the recipe, and I make them every year. While my hubby doesn't quite get the appeal, and Landon and Colton don't care for them, my three middle kids are just as addicted as their mom! I love them so much, I don't know why I don't make them throughout the year. I have seen them presented as simple meringue cookies... But, it's pretty much just Easter ... maybe because I have more eggs on hand.


To make them, take three egg whites and let them come to room temperature (about 30 minutes). Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment or brown paper. Place the egg whites in a large bowl and whip on medium speed. Add 1/4 tsp cream of tarter. Whip until soft peaks form. Add one cup of sugar, a tablespoon at a time while continuing to beat the egg whites. Beat until sugar is blended. Drop the meringue onto the paper in large spoonfuls, creating a small depression in the center of each (to resemble a nest). Bake for 35 minutes. Turn off the oven and let the nests remain in the oven for an hour or so. Remove carefully from the paper and cool. For fun presentation, top each nest with a couple jelly bean eggs and a Peeps chick. Eat and enjoy ... warning, these are messy! They break apart into a million pieces and then melt in your mouth.




1 comment:

  1. Those are so cute! We all enjoyed watching the movie of the pinewood derby!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...