Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Crazy for Kindle

I did a post a while back ... about discovering the joys of reading digitally. It has REALLY changed my world! I was a voracious reader when I was young. During my high school and college years, I limited myself to required reading only. As a busy mom, I would try to read, but I didn't make a lot of time for it. Earlier this year, that ALL changed! Reading digitally is so great ... whereas I wouldn't always want to drag a book with me someplace, I almost always have my Ipod on hand (and thus my book) wherever I go. A few minutes here, a few minutes there, and it's surprising how quickly I get through books. I can zap books from my library without having to make a trip in to pick up or return them, and the amount of FREE offers that come across ... I have 500+ promising books in my digital library.  I love being able to highlight sections of the book and easily look up definitions. There is a search function if you are looking for a particular point. And in low light, I no longer need a lamp.

If you haven't looked up the Kindle app, you SHOULD! You can put it on almost any device (computer, Ipad, Ipod, Android). There are a lot of free kids picture books too. Sometimes I just pull up my Kindle Cloud and browse through the many books I have there. Grayson is just happy not to have bookshelves of PHYSICAL books taking up space and gathering dust. Win win!

We DO have an actual Kindle (fire) ... I do use it occasionally, and I loaned it to Callahan (his school wouldn't let the kids read on on Ipod, but said a Kindle or Nook was ok). The Kindle does fit into my purse, and one of the things unique to it, is that you can borrow a book from Amazon's Kindle Lending Library once a month for free. But go figure, I LOVE reading on my tiny Ipod touch.

... I am still reading some REAL, physical books (if the library doesn't have what I want in digital format) ... but they are so heavy, I have to try and prop them open if I want to lay them down, and I can't make my notes easily (so I don't make notes at all) ... but as digital dominates, I thought I'd share this cute video presentation of a book I got out of the library to read to the little ones ... they didn't have it in digital format, go figure.



1 comment:

  1. Good for you! Glad you're reading and showing an example to the fam!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...