Thursday, October 27, 2011

Soup Season



It's getting cooler ... even cold some mornings. The leaves are turning color and dropping ... it's that time of year when I don't mind turning on the oven or stove and cooking up something warm. It's soup season!

I LOVE a basic chicken vegetable soup. When I say "basic" I mean basic! As anyone who knows me is aware, I'm a BIT of a picky eater. No celery or onion in my soup. Mine is chicken, carrots and potatoes with a chicken broth base. I add a can of Cream of Chicken soup to add flavor and thicken it up. And then I add some shredded cheddar cheese. I discovered the addition of cheese when making cauliflower soup (from Maga's recipe, I'll post it sometime) or taco soup (which I make, but don't eat). It just melts in, adds an extra burst of flavor.

On Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve, the Westra side of the family gets together, and soup is often the meal served at these gatherings. I'm on deck to bring chicken noodle soup. Again, I keep it super simple, just the chicken broth, meat, soup and noodles. I actually love adding carrots to my chicken noodle soup, but when I'm making it for the family gatherings, I usually leave them out. Grayson always teases me a bit about the amount of soup I make. I use the HUGE pot (that HE gave to me). But there are usually little or no leftovers.

Ironically, my boys will devour the chicken noodle soup at the family gatherings, but if I ever make it at home, just for us (in a smaller pot!) it generally doesn't get eaten. I've even seen them pull out a Maruchan Cup-a-Noodles when I have a pot of homemade chicken noodle soup sitting on the stove!

Another famous chicken soup recipe in the Blackham house is the chicken and wild rice soup made by Aunt Courtney. Again, my boys will RAVE about this soup, and gobble it up while out, but if I make it at home ... it sits. But Courtney always gets asked for the recipe, so I'm going to put it here for reference and safe keeping *Ü*

Chicken & Wild Rice Soup- Kim Olsen

1 large onion, finely chopped
4-5 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
4 chicken bouillon cubes
2 cups half and half
1 cup flour
2-3 large grated carrots
6 cups water
1/2 cup margarine
3 1/2 cups cooked wild rice (about 2 boxes)

In a large pot melt margarine; add onion and grated carrots. Cook on low heat until the vegetables are tender. Add flour and stir until well mixed. Slowly stir in the water one cup at a time until blended. Add the bouillon cubes and the half and half, chicken and rice. Simmer, without boiling, for 45 min. Add salt and pepper to taste.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmm! This is definitely getting me in the mood for soup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soup season at our house too! I just made a big pot of beef stew and a pot of sausage lentil soup for the week. Maddie and I will eat that lentil soup for lunch every day. Mia usually takes clam chowder in her lunch. And we'll have beef stew at least twice this week.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...