Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Peanut Butter Bars

It's been a while since I posted a recipe ... and it's been quite a while since I made these yummy peanut butter bars. Although I now remember why I don't make these PB Bars ... because I then EAT these peanut butter bars! These are NOT low-calorie treats. I actually took all the ingredients and calculated the calories one time... I really didn't want to know! But, Landon has been asking for these for quite a while, and they are easy to whip up. They are basically homemade Reeses. So despite my known lack of willpower, Landon and I made a batch last night. Now Landon PROMISED he would eat these, that they would be gone quickly ... but now he's at school and these are sitting in the refrigerator calling to me ... maybe if I write about them, I won't eat them ... maybe ...

To make, take five graham crackers (a full cracker with the four sections). Put them in a ziploc bag and crush them with a rolling pin. You could use a food processor too, but it's actually quite fun (and a great way for the kids to help). Melt one square of margarine (1/2 cup), add two cups powdered sugar, one cup peanut butter, and your cracker crumbs. Stir until combined. Press the mixture into an 8X8 pan. Melt chocolate (I just use semi-sweet chocolate chips, you could use milk chocolate or probably even dark chocolate if you prefer that) and spread it over the top. Refrigerate until set (although for ease in separating the squares, you may want to make your cuts before the chocolate hardens).

I wonder if there will be any left by the time Landon gets home from school ...

4 comments:

  1. I'd be eating them AND writing about them. They sound awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was actually craving these the other day too. These have always been one of my favorites. It is also easy to make the gluten-free variety -- just switch the graham crackers for gluten free cereal. But you are right -- they ARE very high calorie!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy - I thought of you when I made them! I remember them being a favorite with you. I wondered if there were easy gluten-free options.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone brought these to a potluck at the school yesterday and they were CRAZY good! I considered making them to take and I'm glad I didn't! I'd have eaten all the leftovers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...