Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Reader?

I have loved to read for as long as I can remember. I specifically recall the introduction to chapter books in the second grade. In third grade, the books read to us by the teacher became fast favorites. I loved one in particular ... "Sonny Elephant" ... I would check it out of the school library to read over and over again. When I moved on to middle school and high school, I would still have my younger brothers check it out for me so I could read it again. It was an older book (published in 1930 I think), so I couldn't just go pick it up at a bookstore. One day my mom attended a book sale at the elementary school, and there for sale, was the book ... she seemed to remember that one of the kids liked it, so she picked it up. I now have it in my personal library.

My love for reading was actually a bit of a problem. My mother would sometimes have to take my books and tell me to go outside and play! As I got a little older, I realized the only self-control I had was NOT picking up a book in the first place (once I started ... I had to finish!). As I entered my high school years, I wouldn't allow myself to read books not on a required reading list. I was SO happy when "Pride and Prejudice" was actually something I was supposed to read. It is another all time favorite book!

I still love reading. I have garnered a little more self-control as I've gotten older though. I CAN set a book aside when other things need doing ... and with work and then motherhood, there are always things that need doing (so it can take me a while to get through a book ... even the "Hunger Games" series!). But as a mother, I looked forward to sharing my love of reading with my children.

Unfortunately ... my kids did NOT seem to pick up my love of reading. Now being all BOYS ... I figured they probably wouldn't be interested in some of my favorite stories ... Baby Island, Anne of Green Gables, The Witch of Blackbird Pond, Island of the Blue Dolphins, ahhh memories. But I had loved plenty of "boy" books too ... The Great Brain series, Henry Huggins, The Forgotten Door, Indian in the Cupboard, Summer of the Monkeys, the list goes on. While my nieces and nephews seemed to adore books and loved being read to, my kids ... did not. We did still read bedtime stories, and the boys had some favorites, but any book reading seemed to be because of MY suggestion, or for a school requirement.

I've really struggled trying to get the boys to read. The schools require it, and I keep hoping that maybe something will click. I've tried all sorts of books, I've tried reading with them, I've tried audiobooks. It's a constant battle (especially with Landon). I've read a lot of the books myself, to see what's out there, and so that I can discuss them with the kids (and quiz them a little, make sure they actually have been reading when they say they have been reading). I've actually gotten quite a bit of reading in just trying to find books I think might appeal... that, and keeping up with Callahan.

Callahan has always been really good at doing what he is supposed to do. So if his teacher requires 20 minutes of reading a night, he does 20 minutes of reading a night. In the past few months however, he has actually been getting into the books! It's been exciting to see. He really seemed to enjoy the "Percy Jackson" series (five books). The same author has started two new series and Callahan is excited about those ("The Lost Hero" in the photo at the top is one). Just to share a CUTE Callahan comment *Ü* ... while reading the Percy Jackson series he once said "I am a demi-god, my true father is ... Michael Jordan, the Basketball King". I found it funny!

So I do have hope ... but I'm buckling down on the kids again. Setting up reading charts to track the progress (hopefully NOT showing the dismal lack thereof!). With Landon, once again I'm going to try some audiobooks ... let him listen on his Ipod while following along with the written word. Callahan has just started "The Hunger Games" series, and I have ordered him "The Red Pyramid" and I hope he might try "The Ranger's Apprentice" series (I've read the first two books and quite liked them). Keaton is sticking with the "classics" such as "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" and "Captain Underpants". Cooper is diligent in reading the short stories he brings home from school every day. I try to have him read his books to Colton, rather than just to himself. I've also just initiated a new strategy, of having Landon read a chapter book to Cooper and Colton each night ... killing two birds with one stone; getting Landon to read more, and introducing Cooper to books that might be a little too hard for him on his own (they started "Sideways Stories from Wayside School" last night ... maybe the "Magic Treehouse" series next?)

Wish me luck ... what are your kids reading?


2 comments:

  1. We read the first Lost Hero book together over Christmas vacation and are anxiously awaiting the second book (coming out this fall hopefully). My girls are avid readers, the boys aren't as much. They like to read books about things like science or dirt..or for my littlest, soccer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember sitting behind you in our German class, and it would drive me crazy that you could be reading a book during class, and still be able to follow the lecture and answer questions from the teacher correctly! No fair!! ;D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...