In the 6th grade, two kids from each class are chosen to participate in Student Council. It's basically helping gather ICUs and making announcements. There is a leadership conference at BYU later in the year. The kids can choose to run ~ making a poster, presenting a speech ... then there is a classroom vote. There usually is quite a bit of competition for the two spots.
Landon started the student council tradition in our family. I don't remember if he "ran" for it ... I don't recall him making a poster or requesting any help. Callahan joined up with his friend Ryland, and they made their poster together, and I helped Callahan with his "speech".
I helped Keaton out a bit more ... actually breaking out the scrapbooking supplies for the first time in forever! We came up with a little theme and made his poster. I thought it turned out cute. Here was his speech ...
- I’ll start with a joke ... Why did our teacher Mrs. Cluff wear sunglasses to school? Because her students were so very bright! I know you all are very smart ... so I know when it comes time to vote for student council, you will vote for Keaton! (That’s me)
- I am right smack in the middle of my family. I have two older brothers. Both of them were on the student council when they were in 6th grade - so I do know what it’s all about. I have two little brothers here at Columbia, I’ll want to do a good job not only for our class, but for all the students in all the grades.
- I’ve been on the Honor Roll every quarter ... I know I can keep up with my school work when I HAVE too miss class to fulfill my student council duties.
- I have served in leadership positions in my church and scout group.
- I was dwarf #5 in the school play last year ... which made me very understanding ... I hope YOU understand.
- I WILL take student council seriously ... but I BET I’ll make you laugh at some point through the year. I’ve got some Laffy Taffy to pass out to make you laugh right now. Remember ... 7 days without laughter makes one weak (one week!) Vote for Keaton, a TON of FUN!
... and CONGRATS to Keaton. He made it!