Sunday, December 19, 2021

Keaton - 2021 Recap

Keaton asked me what I wanted for Christmas ... I told him I wanted a write-up of the year. Not long after, I received an email "Merry Christmas Mommy" with his recap (included below). 

Starting out the year, I had still recently been promoted and moved into a van to manage job sites with Camson Electric. That meant that Cal and I didn’t work together as much because we were both in charge of different jobs. It was fun, though. I was hesitant at first because I wasn’t sure where this path was headed for me, so they had me primarily on finishes for the first few months. I was the only lead working on Edge finishes so later in the year when I started roughing houses, I got a dozen calls everyday asking about little things that only I knew about. It was cool being the only one to rely on. It was a little weird with some people because I hadn’t gone to electrical school and I had only been in the trade for a year, but I was managing people who were in school, had more experience than me, and were far older. For the most part it all worked out. Getting all this experience had allowed me and Cal to modify a few things in the house: new garage motors, new lights, and the Tesla charger (still waiting on the Tesla, it's ordered!)

It wasn’t until March when Camson finally had me start roughing houses. I had been doing finishes for about 5 months and I was sad I didn’t get to pull wire. I think my transition went pretty smoothly. They had me rough the Edge townhomes that I was finishing, which made me happy because I knew those inside and out. I did have to get used to making a ton of minor decisions every day and just making sure that my guys have something to do while maintaining material and communication with the supers and our material team. Working on all those finishes allowed me to get really good at it, but I immediately fell in love with roughs once when I bounced back in. Swinging hammers, pulling wire, and blasting Kesha on the radio all day was, and still is, my thing.

Trips! I think most, if not all, of the vacations I went on this year were with Kolby and Jamie. First, was Hawaii in April and that sure was one to remember. That was the trip where I realized I really loved hanging out with those guys and they were not only my family but my friends too. I almost cried when we had to catch our flight back. We went to Seattle in July with the whole fam and also in October just me, Dad and Coop. Lastly, there was San Francisco and that was one of my first times in a major city. All of those trips were way too fun and I owe it to the Seattle Blackham’s.

Cal and I went on a work trip to Moab with the crew leads and higher ups. We rode in Razors, ate a ton of food, and played games. That getaway along with the work Christmas party made me realize that a lot of the guys at our work are hilarious and we love hanging out with them.

I built a 9 square set this year which was a pretty big hit. I first played it a couple years ago with some high school buddies, but I knew that I could make one after learning how to work with tools. It only took a couple hours and it was well worth it. If you haven’t played the game, I highly recommend it.

Skydiving! This was a big one for me this year. So much so, it got its own post (Jumping From Planes).

Towards the end of the year really came with a cherry on top. Season 5 of mine and Cal’s favorite show Big mouth was released. For my Pa’s birthday we saw Hassan Minhaj’s new special, the King’s Jester. I started working at Nike again in my spare time since skydiving is shut down in Utah for the winter. And of course the end of the year Spotify “Wrapped” playlist released. I look forward to that every single year.


Other things that defined this year for me include a whole heap of bloody noses, getting wings at Trolley and Bdubs and Krispy Kreme donuts. Amazon online shopping really got the best of me this year! Lots of packages showing up on the doorstep, and lots of returns (luckily there is a Kohls return close by). Ever since Hawaii, I’ve been trying to catch up on older movies that have made an impact on pop culture (since our family has kinda lived under a rock my entire childhood). The rest of the year's memories include ... becoming a part of the Tesla community, pickle ball, Dr Squatch soap, Kolachas, passport and TSA shenanigans, and I’m sure a number of other things I’m forgetting about.

That’s about it. Thanks folks and see you next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...