Saturday, September 14, 2013

Rain Rain Go Away

It's been a rainy Fall so far ... as school was starting up back in August, both Cooper and I looked at the weather forecast with trepidation.  Cooper, because his weather phobia has been kicking up again, and me, because it breaks my heart to see him so stressed and there is nothing I can do to help. He was struggling enough with the school switch (I pulled the kids from Columbia to Terra Linda, which is on a traditional schedule) and the challenges that come with that. Was it too much to ask that the weather would cooperate? 

I talked to Cooper's teacher about his weather worries, and it seems that the schools are fairly conservative ... if it's raining, it's an inside day.  Cooper's classroom is in the center of the school, with no windows ... I think that is a good thing. There haven't been any really bad storms while he's been in school, but it doesn't take much to concern Cooper. He doesn't like wind ... ANY wind at all.  Thunder and lightening are definite problems. He can handle rain if none of the aforementioned conditions exist, but he's still extremely on edge. 

It's nowhere near as bad as it was a couple years ago, when he started 2nd grade. Back then, I got calls from the school almost every day. Cooper would be so terrified he'd have to leave the classroom. At home, I'd have to keep all the blinds and windows closed, and even then he'd spend most of his time in his bedroom (as the kitchen just had too many transom windows, and the leaves could be seen moving in the wind or the change in light as a cloud covered the sun would be too obvious).  After counseling and medication, we seemed to normalize by the end of that school year, and I don't remember ANY issues for the entire 3rd grade. I'm sure there were some storms that year.

Cooper's Cave.
His bedroom is his "safe" spot.

It's been a bit frustrating to see the regression. To see him again checking the weather forecasts multiple times a day.  I've had to rehang a blanket over the window in his bedroom to try and block and sign of the weather outside. As I'm sitting here writing this, and the wind is whipping the trees and the sun slips behind the clouds ... I'm wondering if I'm going to get a call from the school. 

A couple weeks ago when we were at The Cheesecake Factory for Landon's birthday, Cooper was very upset. We were seated by a window, and a storm was blowing in. We had to hurry and finish our meal and head home. Luckily we were home when the storm hit hard. There was a flash of lightening and a roll of thunder unlike any I've ever experienced. It shook the house completely.  That storm made the news with flooding in Utah County, and the storms haven't really stopped.

Cooper said sadly the other day "I wish there was just ONE day that the whole day was a nice day at school".  I almost look forward to Winter, as the wind is so much less obvious without the leaves on the trees. As thunder and lightening so seldom accompany snow. Cooper doesn't have any issues with snow ...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...