Saturday, April 15, 2023

Oops - Jen Did It Again

 

Early in 2022 ... we had a medical scare when I blacked out in the kitchen one Sunday evening.  I smacked my head as I fell. We weren't sure if it was a seizure, there was some shaking, but it was hard to know what was related to blacking out, and what might have been a result of hitting my head. That accident was documented here on the blog (Jen Fell Down and Broke Her Crown). Trying to look at the positive side, at least it happened in January that year, and then after we'd paid a number of bills, we hit our deductible and out-of-pocket for the year. 

There were a number of follow-up tests ... an echocardiogram to check the heart, a consult with neurology and an EEG and MRI. No red flags, no explanations. I recovered with no ill effects and we hoped it was a "one and done" ... but alas, it happened again. 

It was a Saturday night, Easter was the next day. I figured I'd make a quick run to the store to grab a few things. I'd been at Smiths about 15 minutes; I was pretty much done with the shopping. The next thing I knew, I was in the Emergency Room. Gray and Landon were there. I couldn't believe it had happened again ... not only blacking out, but also cracking my head. Ambulance. ER. The whole thing.  While the head laceration seemed to be a bit worse than the January incident, and I had no memory for a full 40minutes, overall it didn't seem quite as bad. There was a little nausea, but I didn't throw up. I had been unable to move for hours after the first fall and was feeling absolutely awful, but this time I was able to talk, joke around a bit, and was discharged after a couple hours. At home, I took a shower and then headed to bed. 

While Jordan Valley Hospital is nice and close, just a minute away from both the Smiths store and home - it is NOT an in-network hospital (something I am all to aware of, dealing with an insurance issue from last year ... remember how I said everything else SHOULD have been covered for the rest of the year?) I think this was one of the first things I was concerned about once I regained lucidity. It should be okay, as it was an emergency, but it's always stressful dealing with medical bills and insurance. We are lucky we have a decent plan though.

We had a pretty low-key Easter Sunday ... there were no Easter baskets laid out, although there was a mysterious "Easter Emergency" bag with some Reeses eggs. I had an impressive bruise on my arm where I'd had the IV, and a blood blister on my finger where the pulse ox had been monitoring. I had a bit of a head ache, but nothing extreme.  After the Jan2022 boom, my jaw was super sore and my tongue was aching where I'd bitten it. I hadn't felt anything like that this time, but when I went to try to eat and drink, I did have some difficult and realized I had bitten my tongue pretty good again. 

Things were pretty much back to normal on Monday, with the guys going to work and school. I did NOT go to Zumba, but I did still prep the playlist and one of the gals came and picked it up and lead the class (and delivered the bread, that I'd still baked on Easter). I went ahead and made some more sourdough too. I was quite cautious for a while, staying at home, I tried a little treadmill walk after a few days. Slowly got back to life ...

As the incident happened at Smiths, we (and the police) had looked into video footage. We were able to get a copy and have that forwarded to my doctor if that might provide any clues as to what steps are next. Got the stitches out after two weeks. I hope my hair will cover up the scar ... Grayson has a couple small scars on his head that are visible, because he doesn't wear his hair long (what hair you say?) I've got a LOT of hair, but it is a bit on the natural part, and so far has still been showing. 

Hopefully we'll get some answers, and something to stop this from happening again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...