Monday, June 16, 2014

Father's Day 2014

Father's Day ... five such handsome boys to take after their daddy! They weren't too happy about attempting to squint into the sun for my photo though!

As is Father's Day tradition around here, we went to Scott and Amy's house for the annual Father's Day barbecue. I brought jello cubes and Chex mix ... I ate way too much of the Chex mix. We take the annual Father's Day photo with everyone. We try to get a couple "good" photos, then a "funny face" one ... I guess Jared didn't get the message that this photo wasn't a funny face photo!

I thought it would be good to take a picture with Dad and us six kidlets. I can't remember if we've ever done that. It turned into quite the production, with so many camera's taking pictures, and of course Grayson always makes everyone (especially Derek) laugh. My oldest brother, my youngest brother and my hubby ... I swear it's a competition to see who can have the shortest hair (I think Derek wins, as he actually bics it).

It was a fun day of family, photos, food ... and Fitbits! That's what Mom got Dad for Father's Day. Many in the family have them now (Callahan just got his) and so there was a lot of Fitbit talk as well.

Gray posted a sweet tribute to my dad on Facebook ... this is what he said:

My father-in-law’s name is Lamar but I’ve only always known him as dad. Here are a few random recollections:
  • In the 90’s he would obtain a yearly “rock permit” allowing him to bring rock down from Big Cottonwood Canyon. Each year, armed with a wheelbarrow, shovel and a truck we would haul load after load down to the house. Those rocks now adorn and comprise the sandbox, the cellar, walkways and, of course, the fountain and pond. He gives new meaning to “the wise man built his house upon a rock” or perhaps “this wise man built the rocks around his house."
  • I’ve never met anyone as passionate about and committed to compost. Whether it is the Cool Whip container next to the kitchen sink or the 4’ deep pit in the yard, organic material and scrap does not go wasted in this household. I see now where Jen gets her aversion to waste.
  • Dad (and mom) will be my lifelong excuse for NOT doing genealogical work. There doesn’t seem to be an aspect of genealogy and the technologies available that dad isn’t conversant in. I remember getting my first iPad years ago and he and I had a discussion about the iPad, centered around its suitability (or lack thereof) for use in family history work. I must confess that his sometimes passionate and highly detailed explanations on the ins and outs of family history work may be lost on me. I have not been a quick study. 
  • I’ve heard him speak over and over again, in glowing terms about the doings and accomplishments of his grandchildren. He seems to be one of their biggest fans. He is quiet, and gentle and giving…and I am a better person for having known him. 

Dad, thanks for all…I hope it’s a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...